Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Zero dollar 30 minute recycled nursing top

This is another one that was on my old blog that I am moving over here. This was the first nursing shirt I made. I have since prefected things a bit but I still really enjoy this shirt and wear it often! Yes I own a nursing cover (made it actually) but to me a nursing cover is like throwing up a big red flag to everyone in the room. "Hey everyone! Look over here while I try to contain my squirming baby who wants to see the world whilst simultaneously trying to maintain my modesty and feed my ravenous wolverine!" Instead of wearing a cover I prefer to use shirts (when in public) that only expose the essentials and aren't as obvious as a cover.

Start out with 2 shirts that you like but never wear anymore. They should be shirts that you are willing to cut up and destroy!
I cut the top portion of both shirts off. Since I want there to be an overlap I an cutting less off the main shirt (grey one) and the portion off the other shirt will be longer. Use your seam ripper where there are seams and just cut the part across the belly with scissors.
Iron where you will be putting a hem. This will give a nice finished edge. Don't mind the German shepherd butt in the corner. Bravo follows me everywhere! After you iron, go ahead and hem the parts you just ironed. Nothing too fancy here, just fold over about 1/4 in and then 1/2 in to get a good finished edge.

Now we will begin to put the shirts together. You want to start with the neck area first because you will want the finished edges to line up properly.

Now you are ready to sew the sleeve area. Turn the shirt inside out so that you are working on the inside of the shirt. Your inside seams will not be visible on the outside of the shirt.
Now you can sew the sides. Working on the inside of the shirt just like with the sleeve area you are going to sew the sides of the blue (or whatever color you have) to the main shirt. The only part that will not be sewn will be the bottom. You want the bottom to stay open because that's how you will feed your baby! Simply reach under the blue part, unsnap the bra and latch baby! You are done!
Check it out! Completely discrete feeding! That little tan part by her cheek is actually my bra and not my breast. I have seen shirts like this for $30 or more... this shirt cost me $0 and one nap! So did you give this a try? How did it come out? Did you come up with a crazy color combination? I would love to see or hear how yours turned out!

** Holy Pinterest traffic Batman! Thanks for checking out my tutorial! I hope at least someone out there has made a shirt or two for themself! I have to laugh every time I see this on Pinterest now... even my new baby isn't this little anymore! Also even more ironic is this picture was flagged and removed on FB for "violating terms". Thanks Pinterest for not being weird about breastfeeding!

2 comments:

  1. Wow thank u so much for this tutorial. The first I've seen with this design which I absolutely love and an going to try. Also I'm so sorry for fb issues...so ridiculous. I've seen support naked swim suit type pics on there and no problem. Crazy ppl. Lol thank u for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thank u so much for this tutorial. The first I've seen with this design which I absolutely love and an going to try. Also I'm so sorry for fb issues...so ridiculous. I've seen support naked swim suit type pics on there and no problem. Crazy ppl. Lol thank u for posting

    ReplyDelete